Along with a raft of legislative change, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has also introduced new licensing requirements for accountants who work with and advise Self Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) Trustees. Only approx. 10% of accountants have complied with these changes to date.
As such if you, as many, consider your accountant would be your 1st port of call for Financial Advice, they will likely advise you, they are unable to provide the information you require & should consult a qualified Financial Adviser / Planner.
This is general advice only and you should seek expert financial advice from a qualified financial adviser before acting on any of the information covered in these topics.
8 questions you should be asking your spouse about retirement.
- What assets do we have for retirement, and are they being invested in the most effective manner ?
- Do we actually want to retire & if so when ?
- What type of legacy do we want to leave to our kids / grandchildren / charity?
- Do we have a strategy for building & protecting our wealth ?
- What does retirement look like & do we share a similar view ?
- Do we have an Estate Plan (ie will / Powers of Attorney / Testamentary Trusts) and if so where is it held / located?
- Where do we want to retire / maybe a ‘Seachange’ ?
- How much money do we really need, to support our lifestyle in retirement?
Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first 4 sharpening the axe – Abraham Lincoln”.